The human body is amazing and the less you do, the better. The most important thing you can do is keep your new tattoo clean, so when you get home remove your bandage and wash it for the first time. Now, don’t go crazy; you don’t want to over clean your new tattoo and dry it out but you do want to wash it three times a day with tepid water and unscented soap.BEFORE you wash your tattoo WASH YOUR HANDS. Once you’ve washed your hands, lather up some soap, get your fresh tattoo wet and gently rub your tattoo using the palm of your hand. Rinse with cool water and pat dry with a clean paper towel. Apply a small amount of unscented moisturizer and gently rub it in, remove any excess - your tattoo should not be shiny or have any excess product. If your skin feels tight wash your hands and you can apply a little more lotion, but again less is more. Wash your tattoo before bed. DO NOT ITCH, DO NOT PICK. If it’s itchy and you can’t take it, give it a little slap.
TATTOO AFTERCARE STEPS
1) Keep your bandage on until you are home or in an appropriate (clean) area to wash your tattoo, between 2 and 8 hours after it was applied. You will never put another bandage or wrap on your tattoo, ever.
2) Wash your hands with warm water and unscented soap. Use the lather from your hands to gently scrub the tattoo with your palm. Rinse with cool water and pat dry with a paper towel. Let your tattoo air out overnight - wear loose, cotton clothing to bed.
3) The next morning, wash your tattoo as you did the first time. Once your tattoo is dry, apply a very small amount of unscented hand lotion or healing agent to the tattoo. Gently rub it in, removing any excess. Your tattoo should not be shiny. Apply 3-5 times a day, whenever the tattoo feels dry or skin feels tight. Wash your tattoo again before you go to bed.
4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 until your tattoo is healed, between 1 and 3 weeks. If your tattoo becomes red or irritated, discontinue lotion and continue washing normally.
CONTINUED MOISTURIZATION, EXFOLIATION, AND UV PROTECTION OF ALL YOUR SKIN IS RECOMMENDED TO KEEP YOUR TATTOO AT IT'S BEST FOR YEARS TO COME.
• Do not over-moisturize your tattoo, your skin needs to breathe. Stay away from viscous products like vaseline and A&D ointment to heal your tattoo. Less is more!
• Do not let other people or animals touch your tattoo until it is healed. It is an open wound and can become infected.
• Do not wear bracelets, watches, rings, necklaces, or any other items that can transfer bacteria into your tattoo or be abrasive during the healing process.
• Do not submerge your tattoo in the bath, hot tubs, swimming pools, or bodies of water (ocean -vibrio) for at least two weeks. You may shower normally, but try to avoid very hot water.
• Do not work out for at least 48 hours. Gyms are gross, and salt from sweat will irritate your skin.
• Do not subject your new tattoo to direct sunlight or tanning lights whilst healing. Wear loose clothing over your tattoo in the sun, and do not apply sunscreen until your tattoo is healed.
• Do not pick, itch, or scratch your tattoo. If you need to relieve an itch, slap it.
• Questions? Concerns? Not clear on something? Call or email us immediately! We will gladly give you advice any time during the process.